VEAZIE, Maine — Though damage from a cooking fire Wednesday afternoon at the Stucco Lodge was contained to the two-story main building out front, the need to disconnect electrical power temporarily displaced about a dozen people renting efficiency units at the back of the property.
The main building, which housed the owners’ family of five and one tenant, will need significant repairs, Capt. Pete Metcalf of the Veazie Fire Department said.
Owned by Najam “Andy” Hashmi and his wife, Saji, the Stucco Lodge is located at 1382 State St., also known as U.S. Route 2. Metcalf said that in addition to the main building, which houses the Hashmis and three of their children and a tenant, the property consists of at least 20 rental units out back.
According to Metcalf, about 18 people were displaced as a result of the fire. He said the American Red Cross has been called in to provide assistance to those who need it.
Metcalf said an electrician was on-site Wednesday night working to restore power to the rental units, which were unaffected by the fire. Once that occurs, the dozen or so renters who were staying there will be able to return to their units.
Metcalf said the fire began about 3:30 p.m. in the Hashmis’ kitchen. Firefighters from Veazie, Bangor and Orono were able to contain the fire within about 10 minutes of their arrival, limiting damage to the kitchen.
The rest of the building, however, had heat, smoke and water damage, he said.
One woman who was in the main building when the fire began suffered a minor burn to her hand, he said. Emergency medical personnel treated the burn at the scene. No firefighters were injured, he said.
Metcalf said the property is insured. He estimated damage at $200,000, though he said the dollar amount could be higher.