Fire destroys LaGrange home; owners, pets escape

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff
Posted April 20, 2010, at 11:14 p.m.

LAGRANGE, Maine — A rusted-out stovepipe was cited as the cause of a fire early Tuesday that destroyed a mobile home on Brimstone Road.

According to LaGrange Fire Chief Roger Stanley, Gayle Millian, who owns the home along with Willard Knights, said she spotted flames coming out the stovepipe’s elbow after loading the wood stove about 6 a.m.

Firefighters from LaGrange and Alton remained at the scene for nearly three hours, but were unable to save the mobile home, which Stanley said was manufactured in the 1970s.

Millian and Knights escaped safely, as did their six cats and three dogs, Stanley said.

Story continues below advertisement.

He said no firefighters were injured in connection with the fire.

The homeowners were not insured, Stanley said. He said that the Pine Tree Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the couple, and that a neighbor has offered the two the use of a camper until they can get back on their feet.

http://bangordailynews.com/2010/04/20/news/fire-destroys-lagrange-home-owners-pets-escape/ printed on December 8, 2016