June 18, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Susan Collins | Tiny House Surprise | Stephen King

Orland man racks up charges after 2-county high-speed chase

Contributed | BDN
Contributed | BDN
By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — An Orland man who led police on a high-speed car chase from Bangor to Bucksport early Monday morning faces more than a half-dozen criminal charges, including several felonies.

As a result of the chase, which involved police from three agencies, Jeffrey R. Warren, 29, was charged with drunken driving and driving to endanger, both of which are misdemeanors, and the felony crimes of eluding police, passing a roadblock, operating after habitual offender revocation of his driver’s license and criminal speed, or driving 30 mph over the posted speed limit, Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said.

Warren also was charged with violating conditions of his bail from a previous unrelated charge.

Warren, who was taken to Penobscot County Jail after his arrest, remained behind bars Monday night. A jail official said Warren’s bail was set at $2,000 cash.

According to Edwards, the episode that led to the charges began about 12:30 a.m. Monday, when Bangor police Officer Kyle Pelkey heard the sound of screeching tires while monitoring traffic in the area of Odlin Road and Interstate 395.

Pelkey then spotted an automobile, identified as a 2000 Volkswagen Passat, attempting to decelerate at the intersection even though the light was green. He also noted that the car’s taillights were not operating, according to police reports.

Though Pelkey attempted to stop the car with the use of his blue lights, its driver continued into the parking lot of Motel 6 and would not pull over. Pelkey then turned on his siren, but the vehicle left the parking lot and accelerated back toward the eastbound lanes of I-395, Edwards said.

Pelkey pursued the car as it turned onto I-395 and then onto U.S. Route 1A into Holden, Edwards said. There, state police Trooper Darren Vittum joined the pursuit and took the lead as Warren turned onto Route 46 and headed for Bucksport.

The chase finally ended just before the Bucksport town line, when Warren’s car went over a spike mat set up by Deputy Luke Gross of the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like