Pembroke blaze destroys home, vehicles

Posted April 13, 2010, at 10:58 p.m.

PEMBROKE, Maine — For the second time in a week, a Pembroke home has been destroyed by fire.

Firefighters from five communities raced to the Leo Silins home on Young’s Cove Road just after 11 a.m. Tuesday.

No one was injured, but the house was in flames and propane tanks were blowing off when he arrived, Pembroke Chief James Ramsdell said Tuesday night.

Ramsdell said the home was surrounded by vehicles, debris and other items, which made fighting the blaze difficult.

He said a van, a car and a truck that were parked close to the home all caught fire. “It was quite dangerous,” he said.

Silins was outside when he noticed the fire and ran to a neighbor’s home for help, a witness to the blaze said. He had no insurance and lost everything.

Ramsdell said Silins was staying with a neighbor temporarily.

Ramsdell said the fire is believed to have started around a wood stove that Silins was using for heat.

Firefighters from Pembroke, Dennysville, Robbinston, Charlotte and Perry went to the fire.

The fire is the second this week for Pembroke. A home on Ox Cove Road was burned over the weekend, and that fire is being considered suspicious, Ramsdell said.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Down East