Fire damages two units at complex in Orono

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff
Posted April 08, 2010, at 10:48 p.m.

ORONO, Maine — An ember from an unidentified source was cited as the cause of a fire early Thursday that burned a baseball-size hole through the floor of an apartment at Stillwater Village Apartments, prompting a brief evacuation.

The fire at the 12-unit, three-story apartment building at 425 College Ave. was reported shortly after 12:20 p.m. and took less than 20 minutes to put out, Fire Marshal Henry Vaughn of the Orono Fire Department said Thursday.

Vaughn said that while it wasn’t clear what its source was, the ember apparently fell onto a carpet of a third-floor apartment, burned a small hole through the floor and floor joists and damaged the ceiling of the apartment below.

The two apartments, each of which Vaughn said had three bedrooms, were the only ones affected and were undergoing repairs Thursday afternoon.

After the building was cleared of smoke, the occupants of the unaffected apartments were allowed to return to their residences, he said.

Vaughn said that Old Town fire crews assisted at the fire scene. A dollar estimate of the damage was not immediately available.

http://bangordailynews.com/2010/04/08/news/bangor/fire-damages-two-units-at-complex-in-orono/ printed on August 20, 2014