Fire startles Sangerville couple upon return home

Posted March 21, 2010, at 8:58 p.m.
Last modified Jan. 30, 2011, at 12:03 p.m.

SANGERVILLE, Maine — When Harry and Janette Cormier returned to their Flanders Hill Road home Saturday night, they did not know their house was on fire, Fire Chief Chuck Bean said Sunday.

“The people that lived here opened the door and [smoke and fire] flew out over their heads,” he said of the couple’s discovery.

A neighbor saw the encounter and called 911 around 6 p.m., Bean said.

Firefighters were able to save the house, located at 125 Flanders Hill Road, but the shared living room-kitchen area of the two-story structure was extensively damaged.

“It was mostly contained to one room,” the fire chief said. However, “it flashed through the whole house, and bits and pieces got burned.”

The heaviest charring occurred near the downstairs living area.

The Cormiers built the home in the late 1980s and have insurance, Bean said.

“I don’t have a cause yet,” he said. “The fire marshal is coming tomorrow” to investigate.

A crew of 18 Sangerville firefighters fought the fire alongside a responding crew from Guilford. The Dover-Foxcroft Fire Department sent a tanker, and Dexter firefighters arrived in town to provide station coverage.

No injuries were reported in the blaze, and the couple’s dog escaped and was sitting in a truck when the first firefighters arrived, Bean said. Firefighters began to return to their stations after about 2½ hours, he said.

The home has extensive damage, but “it’s not a total loss,” Bean said.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Piscataquis