May 21, 2018
Mid-Maine Latest News | Poll Questions | Marijuana Ties | Mary Mayhew | Car Theft

Skowhegan motorcyclist seriously injured in accident

Contributed | BDN
Contributed | BDN
Car vs motorcycle in Skowhegan. Officer Stan Guilmette Skowhegan Police Department
By Abigail Curtis, BDN Staff

SKOWHEGAN, Maine — A motorcycle was struck by a pickup truck Saturday afternoon, causing the rider to be flown to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor to be treated for serious injuries.

Daniel McGowan of Skowhegan, 63, was riding a 1982 Suzuki toward town on Norridgewock Avenue at about 1:15 p.m. when the accident happened, according to Patrol Officer Stanley Guilmette of the Skowhegan Police Department.

A 15-year-old boy driving a large 2009 Chevrolet pickup truck came up behind McGowan but apparently didn’t see the motorcycle, the officer said. The youth was accompanied by a licensed driver.

“He hit it, impaling the motorcycle into the front of the truck,” Guilmette said, adding that the force of the impact ejected McGowan into a ditch.

Numerous passers-by made emergency 911 calls to report the accident.

The Skowhegan Police Department was assisted at the scene by an accident reconstructionist from the Madison Police Department. The Skowhegan Fire Department and Redington-Fairview Rescue also aided the injured motorcyclist, who was not wearing a helmet.

“It was a mess,” Guilmette said.

McGowan first was treated at Redington-Fairview General Hospital and then was flown to Bangor by LifeFlight helicopter. No information about his condition was available from the hospital Sunday afternoon.

Guilmette urged motorcycle riders to wear helmets because you “just never know.”

“It’s your risk,” he said. “The gentleman on the motorcycle wasn’t doing anything wrong.”

Guilmette also said that drivers need to watch out for motorcycles.

“If they don’t see them, this is the result,” he said.

The officer said he had just called the hospital to check on McGowan’s condition, and heard that he was responding to treatment.

The pickup truck incurred between $2,000 and $3,000 in damage, he said.

Guilmette said no charges were pending in the accident, which is still under investigation.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like