Judge sentences two in MDI home invasion

Posted March 19, 2010, at 8:01 p.m.
Last modified Jan. 30, 2011, at 11:46 a.m.

ELLSWORTH, Maine — Two of at least nine young men accused of participating in a Southwest Harbor home invasion last fall pleaded guilty Friday to being involved in the melee.

Gregory Spurling, 20, and Justin Pinkham, 20, both of Hancock, each pleaded guilty Friday afternoon in Hancock County Superior Court to a charge of criminal trespassing.

The two were among a group of several people who rushed into a house on Main Street in Southwest Harbor after 11 p.m. Oct. 26. Inside the home, the group allegedly assaulted a 20-year-old man who had been asleep. The alleged attackers fled when the victim grabbed a large hunting knife from beside his bed and chased them back outside.

The victim allegedly was stabbed with a pair of scissors during the attack but was not seriously injured, according to court documents. Police said the attack was the second time in a span of a few days that some of the intruders allegedly assaulted the victim.

Spurling was sentenced Friday by Justice Kevin Cuddy to nine months with all but 30 days suspended, meaning he will have to spend 30 days behind bars and may face more time in jail if he gets in trouble within a year of being released. Cuddy stayed execution of the sentence until 9 a.m. April 16, at which time Spurling will have to report to Hancock County Jail. The sentence was delayed to give Spurling time to meet obligations at his job, according to his defense attorney, Jeffrey Toothaker of Ellsworth.

Pinkham was sentenced to 75 days behind bars. He received 30 days for a bail violation in Cumberland County and a consecutive sentence of nine months with all but 45 days suspended for the home invasion. Included in the 45-day portion of his sentence is jail time for another bail violation, for providing a place for minors to consume alcohol, and for cultivating marijuana. The alcohol and marijuana charges stem from an incident last September in which police broke up an underage drinking party at Pinkham’s home on Old Route 1 in Hancock.

Pinkham’s sentence was stayed until 6 p.m. Monday, March 22, to give him time to move his belongings into his mother’s house in Sullivan.

During Pinkham’s sentencing, Cuddy scolded the defendant for his behavior. After the judge asked Pinkham if his mother was proud of him, Pinkham said he wasn’t sure.

Cuddy also criticized Pinkham’s lack of employment.

“Apparently, working regularly is not something you have an affinity with,” Cuddy said. “It wouldn’t be so bad if you tried it five days a week. Right now, your resume stinks.”

Others who are facing charges in the alleged home invasion include: Jacob Bagley, 22, of Harrington; Ian Grant, 21, of Hancock; Alex Hartley-Johnson, 21, of Lamoine; Brent Lockhart, 19, of Hancock; Charles Pinkham, 24, of Hancock; Matthew Smith, 20, of Ellsworth; and Brian Thelismond, 22, of Ellsworth.

Mary Kellett, the assistant Hancock County district attorney prosecuting the case, said more people could be charged in the incident. She declined Friday to indicate how many more.

Kellett said the Oct. 26 incident was the culmination of a series of confrontations between the victim and the alleged home invaders.

“It sends a strong message,” Kellett said of the sentences. “Society cannot tolerate people taking justice into their own hands.”

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in State