June 23, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Son ‘lucky’ to escape Hermon mobile home fire

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

HERMON, Maine — An unattended cooking fire Tuesday night destroyed a mobile home on Clark Road.

The fire at 236 Clark Road was reported about 9:50 p.m., Hermon Fire Chief Larry Willis said Wednesday.

Willis said that the fire began after the son of a couple in the process of selling the home fell asleep after putting some food on the stove to cook. The fire then spread through much of the residence, which Willis said was “virtually destroyed.”

He said that an investigator from the State Fire Marshal’s Office visited the fire scene Wednesday and determined that the fire was accidental.

The son, whose name was not released, was alone at home at the time and managed to escape without injury.

“He was very lucky,” Willis said. Though there were smoke detectors in the home, there were no batteries in them, he said.

Hermon firefighters were assisted at the scene by firefighters from Carmel, Levant and Glenburn, Willis said.

Because of the current dry conditions and the fact that there are several large buildings on that stretch of Clark Road, Willis said, fire crews from Bangor and the Maine Air National Guard also were called in. They were sent back to their stations after it became clear that the fire was under control.

Willis said it was not yet clear who owns the home, which was in the process of being sold, or if it was insured when the fire broke out.

He also reminded residents to use caution when cooking and to make sure their smoke detectors are in working condition.

“Cooking really requires people to pay close attention to what they’re doing,” he said, adding, “You’re really risking your life when your smoke detector is incapacitated.”

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like