– Nov. 26, Fayette: Marlee Johnston, 14, killed near her home. Patrick Armstrong, also 14, pleaded guilty to manslaughter a year later and was sentenced to 25 years in prison with all but 16 years suspended.
– March 19, Norridgewock: Joshua Sawyer, 15, is shot to death in a cornfield by a friend target shooting with a faulty weapon. Cody Rioux, 15, pleaded guilty to manslaughter and was sentenced to 225 hours of community service.
– Nov. 28, Palmyra: Anthony Tucker, 13, is shot to death in the front yard of his home by his mother’s boyfriend, Todd Curry, 40. Curry was found not criminally responsible, was committed to Riverview Psychiatric Center in Augusta, where he remains.
– March 24, Auburn: Emmy-Leigh Cole, 8 months, dies of a head injury. Her mother’s live-in boyfriend, 24-year-old Todd Gamache, pleaded guilty to manslaughter and was sentenced to 14 years in prison.
– March 1, East Machias: Damon Nason, 2½, is beaten to death at his home. His stepfather, 22-year-old William Bryson, pleaded guilty to manslaughter and was sentenced to 15 years in jail with all but 7½ years suspended and six years of probation.
– March 5, Harrison: Zachary Henderson, 3½ months, dies at his home from a lethal dose of anti-anxiety medicine. His mother, Pamela Henderson, pleaded guilty to manslaughter and was sentenced to 22 years in prison with six years suspended and six years’ probation.
– March 6, Skowhegan: Pandora Mitchell, 1 month, is beaten to death at her home. Her father, Mika Mitchell, 23, pleaded guilty and is serving a 14-year sentence.
– Aug. 18, Rockland: Ava Harford, 9 weeks, is beaten to death at her home. Her father, 24-year-old Robert Harford, was sentenced to spend 16 years behind bars after pleading guilty to domestic violence manslaughter.
– Nov. 29, Wilton: Matteo Hanson, 17 months, dies from blunt force trauma. His mother’s boyfriend, 20-year-old David Cook, pleaded guilty to manslaughter and was sentenced to six years in prison.
– April 23, Limestone: Joselyn Jones, 3 months, dies from head injuries. Her father, Nicklas Jones, 17, has been charged with manslaughter and remains incarcerated while awaiting trial.
– Aug. 19, Gorham: Michael Devine, 12, is killed by his mother, Karen Devine, 41, when she sets their vehicle on fire in a gravel pit. She too died in the fire.
– Feb. 23, Bangor: Damien Christopher Lynn, 15 months, dies from nonaccidental trauma. Autopsy reveals brain trauma, optic nerve hemorrhages, two broken arm bones, four broken ribs and three small puncture wounds on the bottom of his left foot. Edgard Anziani, 27, his mother’s boyfriend, has been charged with murder.
Source: Stephen McCausland, Maine Department of Public Safety and Bangor Daily News archives.