Bail, release conditions set for alleged bus shooter

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff
Posted March 05, 2010, at 9:49 p.m.

BANGOR, Maine — The man accused of shooting a hole through a BAT Community Connector bus Wednesday was in court Friday to face a felony charge of reckless conduct with a firearm.

Jason Robinson, 24, of Bangor was arrested Wednesday night after he allegedly shot through the side of a city bus with a .357 Magnum handgun. Robinson initially also was charged with carrying a concealed weapon without a permit, though that charge was not on the complaint that was presented to Judge Kevin Stitham during Friday’s proceedings at the Penobscot Judicial Center.

Among the conditions of release that Stitham imposed are that Robinson neither use nor possess dangerous weapons, that he not use or possess intoxicants and that he submit to random searches for both, Penobscot County Assistant District Attorney Brendan Trainor said after the hearing. He said bail was set at $2,500 cash and that additional charges could be lodged after the case has been presented to a Penobscot County grand jury.

Robinson, who was taken to Penobscot County Jail after his arrest Wednesday, remained there as of late Friday night, a jail official said.

According to documents filed with the court, Robinson was aboard the regional transit system’s Bus 44 in Bangor and headed toward Orono-Old Town when the gun somehow fired. On the bus at the time were at least 20 passengers.

Robinson later told police that he was showing off the weapon to passengers in the back of the bus when he accidentally fired the weapon while trying to put it back in his coat pocket. He said he was heading to Old Town to sell the weapon, a police report about the incident stated. After the gun fired, Robinson got off the bus near the intersection of Pine and State streets, the report said.

Bangor police and a state police trooper with a tracking dog searched the area but weren’t able to find Robinson.

About an hour after the shooting, Robinson got on another bus heading toward Orono-Old Town and was recognized by a passenger, who had been on the earlier bus when the weapon was discharged, according to police. That passenger used his cell phone to call police, BAT Superintendent Joe McNeil said earlier this week.

State police stopped the bus in Orono around 6 p.m. and Robinson was arrested without incident.

If convicted of the felony reckless conduct with a firearm charge, Robinson could face up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000.

Robinson has a number of criminal convictions, mostly for theft and criminal mischief and violating conditions of his release, according to previous articles in the Bangor Daily News.

http://bangordailynews.com/2010/03/05/news/bangor/bail-release-conditions-set-for-alleged-bus-shooter/ printed on October 2, 2014