Fire in Brownville guts home, kills three cats

Posted March 01, 2010, at 8:43 p.m.
Last modified Jan. 30, 2011, at 12:04 p.m.

BROWNVILLE, Maine — A fire that gutted the interior of a Brownville home Monday was attributed to a cook stove, according to Brownville Fire Chief Dave Preble.

Preble said a burner under a pot of grease had been left on and ignited, causing the 11:15 a.m. fire. The one-story home on Route 11 was owned by John Bishop Jr. of Brownville.

Bishop said the home was being rented by Lester and Wendy Clark and their two middle school-age children. Neither the home nor the contents were insured, he said.

It is believed the family’s three cats perished in the fire, Bishop said.

A passing motorist reported the fire, and firefighters were quick to respond, according to Preble. “It was a very good save,” he said.

The American Red Cross will be contacting the family to see what assistance can be provided, Gretchen O’Grady, emergency services director for the American Red Cross, said Monday.

Milo firefighters assisted Brownville firefighters at the scene.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in State