May 23, 2018
News Latest News | Poll Questions | Lunch Debt | Robert Indiana | Stolen Shed

Fire in Brownville guts home, kills three cats

By Diana Bowley, BDN Staff

BROWNVILLE, Maine — A fire that gutted the interior of a Brownville home Monday was attributed to a cook stove, according to Brownville Fire Chief Dave Preble.

Preble said a burner under a pot of grease had been left on and ignited, causing the 11:15 a.m. fire. The one-story home on Route 11 was owned by John Bishop Jr. of Brownville.

Bishop said the home was being rented by Lester and Wendy Clark and their two middle school-age children. Neither the home nor the contents were insured, he said.

It is believed the family’s three cats perished in the fire, Bishop said.

A passing motorist reported the fire, and firefighters were quick to respond, according to Preble. “It was a very good save,” he said.

The American Red Cross will be contacting the family to see what assistance can be provided, Gretchen O’Grady, emergency services director for the American Red Cross, said Monday.

Milo firefighters assisted Brownville firefighters at the scene.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like