Protestant churches on the eastern shore of the Penobscot River will hold joint weekly ecumenical services during Lent.
Lent is the period of penance, fasting and study before Easter. It lasts approximately 40 days, not counting Sundays, and recalls Christ’s 40-day fast in the desert and the 40 years the Israelites wandered in the desert between leaving Egypt and entering the Promised Land.
Seven churches from Aurora to Orrington will participate in the ecumenical event. Six congregations will hold services at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays, beginning on Ash Wednesday, Feb. 17. The last service will be held at noon on Good Friday, April 2.
The services will be held on the following dates at participating churches:
• Feb. 17, North Brewer-Eddington United Methodist Church, 31 Main Road, Eddington.
• Feb. 23, Amherst-Aurora Congregational Church, United Church of Christ, Route 9, Aurora.
• March 2, Brewer United Methodist Church, 40 South Main St., Brewer.
• March 9, Dedham Congregational Church, United Church of Christ, Route 46, Dedham.
• March 16, First Congregational Church, 35 Church St., Brewer.
• March 23, First United Methodist Church, 14 Center Drive, Orrington.
• April 2, St. Patrick’s Episcopal Church, 21 Holyoke St., Brewer.