April 26, 2018
High School Sports Latest News | Poll Questions | Eugene Cole | EMHS | Turkey Hunt

Bangor Rams rebound, shut out Lawrence


BANGOR, Maine — The Bangor High School Rams had their four-game winning streak snapped by Presque Isle 5-4 on Saturday.

So they took it out on the Lawrence High School Bulldogs from Fairfield on Wednesday night.

Senior defenseman Nick George had three assists and junior center Joey Seccareccia had a goal and an assist as the Rams unleashed 57 shots on goal en route to a 5-0 triumph at Sawyer Arena.

Sophomore goalie Chris Howat was forced to make just eight saves en route to his first shutout of the season.

Lawrence sophomore goalie Brad Mackenzie turned in a superb 52-save performance.

“I kind of expected [to see a lot of shots] but I didn’t expect it to be this bad,” said Mackenzie.

“We played well for all three periods. We got a lot of shots and hustled everywhere,” said George.

The Class A Rams, who were tenacious in all three zones, improved to 7-5-1 while Class B Lawrence lost its fifth straight game and fell to 7-6.

Lawrence dropped from Class A to Class B along with Brewer this season.

The hardworking but undermanned Bulldogs were without five players, including three who see regular duty, but it probably wouldn’t have mattered as Bangor was dominant.

Ryan King scored the only goal in the first period as Bangor outshot Lawrence 20-1 and didn’t allow a shot on goal until the final second when Howat got his left toe on Jeshua Dearborn’s breakaway.

Jacob Turmel made it 2-0 with a shorthanded goal 1:13 into the second period before Seccareccia and Devon Lyshon scored 2:29 apart later in the period. Lyshon’s goal came on the power play.

Josh Couturier concluded the scoring 2:11 into the third period.

King’s goal came off a rebound as he dove across the goalmouth and had the puck glance in off him. His brother, Adam, and Nate Lewis had assists.

“In my opinion, he hit it in with his hand,” said Mackenzie.

A player can’t deliberately knock a puck into the net with his hand.

King verified Mackenzie’s contention.

“I dove for it and I happened to get lucky. It bounced up and I hit it with my hand into the net,” said King.

Turmel’s goal came off a great setup by George, who muscled his way through a check along the right-wing boards, heard Turmel call for the puck and flipped a backhand pass across to him at the far post.

The unattended Turmel calmly held it as Mackenzie scrambled across and then he flipped it back against the grain into the top corner.

“[Mackenzie] was sliding across so I knew if I shot it right away, I’d put it into his chest,” said Turmel. “So I thought I’d wait until he got all the way across and go back to where he came from.”

George made a similar play along the left-wing boards to set up Seccareccia’s goal as again he fought his way through a few checks before finding Seccareccia in the slot.

“I saw [Seccareccia] open in front and he put it in,” said George.

“Nick worked his tail off in the corner and his pass hit off one of their defenseman’s skates. I saw it poke out and I went five-hole with it. It was wide open,” said Seccareccia, who was positioned in the low slot to Mackenzie’s right.

“I never saw it,” said Mackenzie.

Lyshon made it 4-0 with a screened shot from the midpoint.

Couturier’s third-period goal came off the rebound of a Zeb Tuell shot that came to him off the boards behind the net.

Couturier jammed it past the helpless Mackenzie from just outside the crease.

“We definitely needed this win,” said Turmel. “It’s nice to shut out a team like this.”

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like