March 19, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Andrew McCabe | Civil War Gold | Marissa Kennedy

Shooting victim still in hospital

By Dawn Gagnon and Nok-Noi Ricker, Special to the BDN

BANGOR, Maine — The 19-year-old man shot in the chest on Cumberland Street on Wednesday night remained hospitalized Thursday as police continued their investigation. No one has been arrested or charged.

“Witnesses are still being interviewed, and the facts of the case are still being organized,” Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said in a press release issued shortly after 5 p.m. Thursday.

Earlier in the day, Edwards said the victim suffered “internal injuries.” When asked whether they were life-threatening, Edwards said, “It’s a very serious condition.”

A supervising nurse at Eastern Maine Medical Center said late Thursday night that the teen was in “critical” condition.

While police confirmed his name, the Bangor Daily News typically does not publish the names of victims.

The victim was taken to EMMC on Wednesday shortly after the 6 p.m. shooting, which appears to have been prompted by an altercation involving six to 12 teens and young adults in front of a house at 57 Cumberland St.

“This is not a random act,” Edwards stressed. “We do believe there is some relationship” between the suspect and victim.

Police did not release exactly what that relationship is — whether they were once friends, schoolmates or whether they lived near each other.

“The Criminal Investigation Division is working closely with the Penobscot County District Attorney’s Office sorting out the details and will determine when, if, and who may be charged as a result,” Edwards said in the statement to local media.

The man who was shot is a former Bangor resident who is now considered a transient, according to police.

“He did have an address on the east side of Bangor” at one point, Edwards said, adding that “we’ve dealt with the party before.”

The gun used in the shooting has not been recovered, and police are not releasing what type they believe was used.

After the shooting, several people fled the area on foot, and police have spent the last day interviewing witnesses and searching for others who might have been involved or know something about the case.

Garland Street resident David Carr said he had just left the post office on nearby Harlow Street and was driving home Wednesday evening when he heard a group of young people “hollering” on Cumberland Street.

The group, he said, appeared to be involved in some kind of argument or fight.

“Then I heard a gunshot. At first I thought it was an M80 [a type of firecracker] but then I saw a young man running down Cumberland Street. He was holding his stomach. Then I heard his sister hollering, ‘My brother’s been shot!’”

Carr said that he stopped to help the young man and that when he lifted up the victim’s shirt he saw that “his stomach was covered in blood. I covered him up and said a prayer, ‘Please, God, don’t let him die.’”

Edwards said Wednesday that the woman who yelled, “My brother’s been shot,” is actually not related to the victim and may have used the term “brother” to mean friend.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like