Auditorium fire under investigation

Posted Jan. 07, 2010, at 10:12 p.m.

BANGOR, Maine — The cause of a small fire Wednesday night in the boiler room at the Bangor Auditorium remained under investigation Thursday, though a Fire Department official said it appeared to be accidental.

The fire, which caused acrid smoke to fill the auditorium’s main lobby and hallways, was reported about 9:23 p.m., according to Assistant Fire Chief Rick Cheverie.

Though crews from the department’s Central Station and Station 5 had the fire out within minutes, several firefighters remained at the auditorium to clear the smoke out, he said.

Cheverie said Thursday that it still wasn’t clear what caused a cardboard box and a plastic tote containing tools and parts to catch fire.

Bass Park Director Mike Dyer said Thursday that the items were not close to the boiler, but were set along a cinderblock wall and on top of a metal grate catwalk.

Emergency rescue personnel, prompted by concern that the smoke might contain toxic elements because of the plastics that burned, took a Bass Park maintenance worker to a local hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.

After receiving treatment, the employee was released from the hospital and reportedly was doing fine Thursday, Dyer said.

“He came in today to pick up his check,” Dyer said, adding that the employee was one of only two workers left in the building when the fire began about an hour after the last high school basketball game ended.

Though the fire did not affect the boiler itself, a service man was called in to shut it down until it could be looked over Thursday morning.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Bangor