Etna firefighters plow driveway to fight blaze

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff
Posted Jan. 03, 2010, at 10:51 p.m.

ETNA, Maine — Firefighters on Saturday night had to plow out the driveway of a home on Dixmont Road so they could put out a blaze that started in a living room fireplace.

The fire was reported about 9 p.m., Capt. John Gibbons of the Etna Fire Department said Sunday.

“Road conditions were terrible, and we had to travel very slowly,” he said. “When we got there, the driveway had not been plowed. Fortunately, one of our firefighters had a plow on his truck and he plowed out a path for us.”

It took crews about an hour to knock down the blaze, he said.

No one was injured in the fire, but the two-story house, owned by John A. Macomber Sr., had extensive damage, Gibbons said.

He described fire damage to the second floor as significant and said the first floor had water and smoke damage. Although the family had to leave the home to stay with friends, Gibbons said, the home could be rebuilt.

Crews from Carmel, Stetson, Levant, Plymouth, Newport and Dixmont fought the fire.

http://bangordailynews.com/2010/01/03/news/etna-firefighters-plow-driveway-to-fight-blaze/ printed on July 29, 2014