CORINTH, Maine — Two horses perished Saturday in a fire that destroyed a barn owned by Louis and Irene Goodwin on McCard Road.
No one else and no other animals were killed or injured in the fire that was reported about 3 p.m., Corinth Fire Chief Scott Bragdon said approximately three hours after the crew returned to the station.
The cause of the fire appeared to be an electric heater in the barn used to keep the horses’ water from freezing, he said.
The snowstorm and the property’s distance of seven to eight miles from the station made getting to the fire difficult, Bragdon said. Town crews went ahead of the firetruck and tanker to clear roads of snow and put down salt to make the drive less slippery.
When the crew arrived flames were through the roof of the barn, the chief said. Firefighters were able to keep the blaze from spreading to a nearby home.
Bragdon said he called in extra tankers so that crews would not have to go back and forth to their stations to refill tanker trucks in the storm.
Trucks from Charleston, Bradford, Kenduskeag, Levant, Hudson and Glenburn brought water to McCard Road in case it was needed.
A crew from Garland was on standby at the Corinth station while its firefighters were at the scene, the chief said.
A state fire marshal is not expected to investigate the blaze, according to Bragdon.