Prospect house fire ruled suspicious

Posted Dec. 27, 2009, at 7:30 p.m.

PROSPECT, Maine — The State Fire Marshal’s Office was called Saturday to investigate a suspicious fire at a home on North Searsport Road, according to the local fire chief.

Firefighters from Prospect, Searsport and Stockton Springs responded before 8 a.m. to the report of a fire at the two-story house at 323 North Searsport Road. Fire Chief Tim Terry said crews doused the flames quickly, but the house had significant smoke and water damage.

“It didn’t get too deep into the structure,” the chief said.

Terry said Sunday that he couldn’t provide details, but the nature of the fire — specifically, that it had several points of origin — led him to contact investigators. The residence had been abandoned for about a week because of another suspicious fire several days ago, he said.

The chief declined to identify the homeowners.

The fire marshal’s office was expected to return to the scene on Sunday to investigate further, Terry said.

http://bangordailynews.com/2009/12/27/news/prospect-house-fire-ruled-suspicious/ printed on August 22, 2014