NEWRY, Maine — The Sunday River Ski Resort in Newry is celebrating its 50th anniversary this weekend.
What was then called Sunday River Skiway first opened on Dec. 19, 1959 with six trails, a single T-bar and a small base lodge. It now has 132 trails on eight peaks served by six lifts.
Bethel residents first got the idea to set up a resort after a T-Bar was installed in the western Maine town in 1947. It was later transferred to Barker Mountain in Newry where the new Sunday River was developed.
The 50th anniversary of Sunday River is being marked by music, special meals at restaurants in Newry and Bethel, ski tours, a concert and pancake breakfast.