Bangor man pleads guilty in underage sex case

Posted Dec. 15, 2009, at 2:17 p.m.

A Bangor man has pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Buffalo, N.Y., to taking a 13-year-old girl across a state line for sex, according to the Buffalo News.

Charles Dunlop, 20, is expected to be sentenced to between four years and nine months and nearly six years in federal prison. He is scheduled to be sentenced on March 24 in federal court in Buffalo.

Dunlop has been held without bail in Buffalo since his arrest on April 29 in a mall in Erie, Penn., according to court documents

By pleading guilty, Dunlop admitted that he traveled to western New York to meet a 13-year-old girl he had been communicating with on the Internet. The girl, according to court documents, told investigators that Dunlop knew she was a minor. He told police that she had told him she was 18.

Dunlop, according to court documents, picked the girl up near her home in Niagara County, N.Y., and took her to Cleveland, Ohio, where they stayed in various motel rooms. The girl denied having sex with Dunlop but he admitted to having unprotected sex with her five times between April 25, when he picked her up, and April 29, when he was arrested.

The girl told police that she met Dunlop in person in November 2008 through mutual friends and they continued communicating via the Internet, according to court documents. He told police that their communications included discussions about engaging in sexual activity.

Police began searching for the girl the day Dunlop picked her up after the girl’s mother called to report her daughter was missing, according to court documents.

Dunlop does not have a criminal record, according to the Buffalo paper. He told U.S. District Judge Richard J. Arcara on Monday that he had worked various temporary jobs in recent years.

More information about Dunlop’s background was not available Tuesday.

Similar articles:

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business