June 23, 2018
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

MDI man pleads guilty to drug trafficking charge

By Bill Trotter, BDN Staff

ELLSWORTH, Maine — A Tremont man who was arrested in April after police interrupted an arranged drug deal on Mount Desert Island was sentenced Monday in Hancock County Superior Court to spend nearly three months behind bars.

Gregory A. Gilley, 21, pleaded guilty to charges of unlawful trafficking of drugs and violating conditions of his release. Justice Kevin Cuddy imposed an overall sentence of three years with all but 83 days suspended on the trafficking charge and a concurrent 30-day sentence for the other charge.

Gilley already has served the 83 days in jail. He also was sentenced to two years’ probation and will have to pay a $400 fine.

According to Assistant Attorney General Patrick Larson, Gilley was arrested on April 14 after he became involved in an arranged drug deal in the town of Mount Desert. Gilley drove another man to the Somesville fire station that day so the man could sell some prescription pills, the prosecutor told Cuddy.

Police were at the fire station waiting for the drug deal to get under way, Larson said. Police found three 80-milligram OxyContin pills in Gilley’s possession when they interrupted the transaction.

“He acknowledged the pills in his pocket were for sale and that he had been selling pills for a while,” Larson said.

Gilley later was charged with violating the conditions of his release after police randomly checked him for possession and use of drugs. According to an affidavit filed in Superior Court, Gilley was taken to Hancock County Jail in Ellsworth in May 2009, when he tested positive for use of prescription pills.

Gilley was ordered by Cuddy to pay the $400 fine within 60 days. Gilley has work fishing with his brother, according to his defense attorney, Jeffrey Toothaker of Ellsworth.

“He’s got his substance issues under control now,” Toothaker told Cuddy.

Two years ago, Gilley was convicted in federal court in Bangor of causing several thousand dollars in damage to cement and brass light fixtures at Acadia National Park’s Seawall Campground with an all-terrain vehicle. In that case, Gilley had been drinking and had a juvenile passenger when he drove the ATV over the fixtures several times, federal investigators said at the time.

For the federal offense, Gilley was ordered to pay a $1,000 fine and $3,609 in restitution to Acadia and to serve three years of probation.

In other pleadings Monday in Hancock County Superior Court, John A. Jackson, 53, of Ellsworth, pleaded guilty to a charge of unlawful possession of prescription drugs and to a charge of unlawful furnishing.

According to court documents, the furnishing charge stems from an incident in 2005 in which Jackson was caught selling prescription drugs for $10 a pill. The charge of unlawful possession stems from an incident last month in which Ellsworth police caught Jackson in possession of multiple prescription pills.

Jackson was sentenced Monday to 14 days in jail with credit for time served and ordered to pay a $400 fine. He was given a one-year deferred disposition on the charge of unlawful furnishing, meaning he will be convicted of a lesser charge if he stays out of trouble for the next 12 months.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like