June 19, 2018
Penobscot Latest News | Poll Questions | Fuddruckers | Opioid Sales | RCV Ballots

Lincoln police officer resigns

By Nick Sambides Jr., BDN Staff

LINCOLN, Maine — Sgt. Kevin Giberson resigned his job this week, joining two other officers who have left the Police Department abruptly since the summer, town officials said Friday.

Giberson, 38, of East Millinocket, gave no reason for his departure. Other officers, full- and part-timers, will fill in for Giberson until he is replaced, Town Manager Lisa Goodwin said.

Giberson’s telephone number was listed Friday as temporarily disconnected. He did not immediately respond to an e-mail requesting comment.

Giberson’s last official day is Monday, Goodwin said. Workers who answered the telephone Friday at the Public Safety Building indicated that Giberson’s last day was Thursday and that he would not be returning to work, indicating that Giberson might be using his last vacation days now.

Giberson joined the Police Department in February 2008 after 17 years in the East Millinocket and Millinocket police departments, in the latter as a sergeant for much of his time.

As Lincoln’s patrol sergeant and the second-highest-ranking officer in the department, he assisted the police chief with day-to-day operations. He also served as the department’s training officer.

Giberson received a special assignment from Police Chief William Flagg in the summer of 2008: to review the department’s burglary cases and seek connections that might have been missed, a move Goodwin applauded. The investigation led to a few arrests.

Then Flagg resigned his position on Aug. 25 to eventually pursue a teaching career, and Officer Chad Chubbuck was fired in late October for what he said was a violation of the town’s policy requiring officers to live within 15 miles of town. Chubbuck described the parting as amicable.

The Town Council appointed Fire Chief Phil Dawson, a retired state trooper, as interim police chief in late August. An initial search for a new chief produced only six candidates and forced Goodwin to reopen the search a second time.

On Friday, Goodwin said she closed the police chief search last week and was set to interview finalists.

“I hope to have a recommendation [for the council] in January,” she said.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like