June 20, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Fuddruckers | Opioid Sales | RCV Ballots

Lee man sentenced to more than 4 years for sawed-off shotgun

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A Lee man was sentenced Friday in U.S. District Court to four years and three months in federal prison for possession of an unregistered short-barreled shotgun.

Hazen Shaw, 40, also was sentenced to three years of supervised release after he completes his prison term.

Shaw also is facing state charges of eluding an officer, passing a roadblock, reckless conduct, theft by deception, theft by unauthorized taking and forgery in Penobscot County. He faces up to five years in state prison on those charges.

He most likely will be sentenced on the state charges before the end of the month. The sentences probably will be concurrent.

The state and federal charges stem from the same incident on Nov. 30, 2008. Lee was arrested after he reportedly shot off a gun while visiting a relative in Springfield, then tried to run from police.

Neighbors of the relative on Old Winn Road called police after hearing the gunshot, Maine State Police said shortly after the incident. When law enforcement officers arrived, Shaw drove away, according to a story previously published in the Bangor Daily News.

Shaw drove away, pursued by a Maine State Trooper, until he reached a roadblock set up by the Maine Warden Service at the intersection with Town Line Road, the paper reported. Shaw drove into a ditch trying to evade the roadblock. As police surrounded Shaw’s vehicle, he allegedly continued to try to escape and in the process hit two vehicles blocking his car.

The sawed-off shotgun, which led to the federal charge, was found in his car.

The state charges of forgery and theft stem from the way Shaw bought the car he was driving at the time of his arrest, according to documents filed in federal court. He allegedly bought the car from an elderly couple using a forged check he’d stolen from his mother.

Shaw was indicted on the state charges by the Penobscot County grand jury in January and on the federal charge by a federal grand jury in March. He was convicted on the federal charge in June following a two-day trial.

On the federal charge, Shaw faced up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000. Assistant U.S. Attorney James McCarthy argued that Shaw should be sentenced to between five and six years in prison. Defense attorney Virginia Villa urged the judge to sentence Shaw to less than three years.

Shaw has been held at the Penobscot County Jail since his arrest. The time since his indictment by the federal grand jury is expected to be counted toward his federal sentence.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like