Newport man indicted, accused of killing father

Perley Goodrich Jr. is escorted from jail to Penobscot Superior Court Friday afternoon, October 30,2009. Goodrich was arrested in the Newport Big Stop after being spotted there early Friday morning.  State and local police spent most of this week on a manhunt for Goodrich who is wanted for questioning following the Monday night murder of his father and severe beating of his mother at their home in Newport.
BANGOR DAILY NEWS PHOTO BY JOHN
Perley Goodrich Jr. is escorted from jail to Penobscot Superior Court Friday afternoon, October 30,2009. Goodrich was arrested in the Newport Big Stop after being spotted there early Friday morning. State and local police spent most of this week on a manhunt for Goodrich who is wanted for questioning following the Monday night murder of his father and severe beating of his mother at their home in Newport.
Posted Nov. 30, 2009, at 10:40 p.m.
Last modified March 30, 2011, at 11:09 a.m.

BANGOR, Maine — A Newport man accused of pistol whipping his mother and killing his father five weeks ago was indicted Monday by the Penobscot County grand jury for intentional or knowing murder and depraved indifference murder.

Perley Goodrich Jr., 45, is being held without bail at Penobscot County Jail. He is expected to be indicted on charges related to the assault on his mother when the grand jury convenes again on Monday, Dec. 28, according to the Maine Attorney General’s Office.

It is not unusual for the Maine Attorney General’s Office, which prosecutes all homicides in the state, to seek an indictment including both types of murder defined in state statutes.

Goodrich Jr. was arrested on Oct. 30 at a Newport truck stop drinking coffee after an intensive police manhunt that lasted more than three days. At the time of his arrest, he was charged with fatally shooting Perley Goodrich Sr., 76, and beating Sandra Goodrich, 64, around 11:40 p.m. Monday, Oct. 26, at the Rutland Road home they shared.

The son, according to a court affidavit, entered his mother’s bedroom, where she was asleep, and asked to use her cell phone. Goodrich Jr. left the room with the phone, but when his mother followed him to the living room, he allegedly grabbed her, struck her with his fists and attempted to bind her hands together with duct tape. He then pulled a handgun and struck her on the head five to six times, leaving her dazed and beaten, the woman told police.

Goodrich Jr. then went to the bedroom where his father was sleeping, according to the affidavit. His mother told police she heard a gunshot from the bedroom and her husband exclaim, “He shot me.” Sandra Goodrich fled the home and ran to a neighbor’s house, where police were called.

Officers later found Goodrich Sr. dead with a gunshot wound in the back. Goodrich Jr. had fled the home, according to the affidavit.

Sandra Goodrich told police that her son needed help for his mental health problems. She said she had taken him to the hospital on three occasions the week of the attacks and he had been prescribed a new medication.

Jeffrey Silverstein, the Bangor attorney for Goodrich Jr., said in October that his client had been seeking medical care and treatment but had not received the treatment he believed he needed. Now that the suspect has been indicted, Silverstein and Assistant Attorney General Andrew Benson, who is prosecuting the case, are expected to ask the court to order a psychological examination to determine whether Goodrich Jr. is capable of participating in his own defense.

Goodrich Jr. is scheduled to be arraigned on the murder charge on Dec. 18 at the Penobscot Judicial Center.

If convicted of murder, he faces a minimum of 25 years in prison and a maximum of life.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Bangor