Man killed in Maine fire was mixing oil, gas

Posted Nov. 28, 2009, at 10:53 a.m.

MECHANIC FALLS, Maine — Firefighters say a man mixing oil and gas for a chain saw caused a fire in an apartment in Mechanic Falls, Maine, that killed him and injured three others.

John Dean from the Maine Fire Marshal’s Office says the man spilled some of hte mixture on his shirt Wednesday night. A short time later, he was lighting a cigarette and accientally set himself on fire. Dean says someone else in the apartment also suffered burns trying to put the flames out and was hospitalized.

WCSH-TV reports two firefighters also suffered minor injuries fighting the fire. Nine people who lived in the building were displaced.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in State