Suspect in Medway arson fails to make bail

Douglas Deloge, 39, of Medway made his first appearance before Judge Jessie Gunther on Monday, Nov. 23, 2009 at the Penobscot Judicial Center on the first day the center was open for business. Deloge is charged with setting fire last week to an abandoned house.
BANGOR DAILY NEWS BRIDGET BROWN
Douglas Deloge, 39, of Medway made his first appearance before Judge Jessie Gunther on Monday, Nov. 23, 2009 at the Penobscot Judicial Center on the first day the center was open for business. Deloge is charged with setting fire last week to an abandoned house.
Posted Nov. 23, 2009, at 8:39 p.m.
Last modified Jan. 30, 2011, at 12:09 p.m.
Douglas Deloge, 39, of Medway (center) made his first appearance before Judge Jessie Gunther on Monday, Nov. 23, 2009 at the Penobscot Judicial Center on the first day the center was open for business. Deloge is charged with setting fire last week to an abandoned house.
BANGOR DAILY NEWS BRIDGET BROWN
Douglas Deloge, 39, of Medway (center) made his first appearance before Judge Jessie Gunther on Monday, Nov. 23, 2009 at the Penobscot Judicial Center on the first day the center was open for business. Deloge is charged with setting fire last week to an abandoned house.

BANGOR, Maine — A Medway man charged with setting fire to an abandoned house last week remained Monday night at the Penobscot County Jail unable to make bail set at $3,000 cash or $15,000 surety.

Douglas J. Deloge, 39, made his first appearance Monday at the Penobscot Judicial Center on the first day the $36.4 million complex on Exchange Street was open for business.

Judge Jessie Gunther also set bail conditions that include no alcohol or drug use and random testing for their use.

Deloge has a criminal record which includes several convictions for operating under the influence of intoxicants, but no felony convictions and no failures to appear, Susan Pope, assistant district attorney for Penobscot County, told the judge.

Through defense attorney Joseph Hunt of Bangor, Deloge told the judge he could raise about $15,000 by posting his land and trailer as surety bail. Hunt said that Deloge has been unemployed since June.

Deloge was arrested Friday afternoon at the East Millinocket Public Safety Building, where he had been questioned about a fire that destroyed a vacant house on Pattagumpus Road on Thursday.

The house hasn’t been lived in for three or four years and had no utilities, Medway Assistant Fire Chief Brian McLaughlin said last week.

The fire Deloge is accused of setting was the latest in what investigators have said are four fires set intentionally in Medway.

The parallels that investigators have said they see among the four fires are tenuous but involve several similarities, including timing, area and methodology. All but one occurred in the vicinity of Salmon Stream and two were reported between 3:30 and 4:30 a.m. Three involved abandoned dwellings. The fourth destroyed a pickup truck.

Deloge has been charged with only one of those arson fires, and Deputy District Attorney Michael Roberts would not confirm Monday if he is a suspect in the other three.

If convicted, Deloge faces up to 30 years in prison and a fine of up to $50,000. He also could be ordered to pay restitution.

Deloge is scheduled to appear in court on Dec. 30 for a status conference.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in State