WINTERPORT, Maine — The Pine Tree Council of the American Red Cross is assisting the Searles family after their home was destroyed Monday by fire.
Fire Chief Thomas Doe said the fire at the Souder Station Road home was reported at 8:15 a.m. and was in flames by the time firefighters arrived. The Searleses and their two children were away from home at the time.
“The fire station is about 3½ miles from the fire, and I could see black smoke rising in the air as I drove to the fire,” Doe said Thursday.
Souder Station Road is off Hackett Road, which is off Route 1A a little more than a mile from the Hampden town line.
Doe said the fire started in a wood-frame addition and was believed to have been caused by a faulty, wall-mounted propane heater. The fire spread to the roof area of the home where it ignited cellulose insulation.
“That house sits back in the trees and nobody saw anything until it really started burning,” Doe said. “Once [the fire] got into that insulation, it really took off.”
Fire units from Hampden, Frankfort and West Frankfort assisted the Winterport Fire Department. No injuries were reported.
The Red Cross provides clothing, shelter and disaster mental health services to all victims of disaster, including fires. The Pine Tree Chapter’s service area covers seven Maine counties.
All disaster services are free to victims and are supported by local donations. To assist with the disaster relief fund contact the chapter’s office at 122 Target Industrial Circle, Bangor 04401, or call 941-2903.