An Eddington man using an acetylene torch to work on his four-wheeler Sunday morning apparently caught the wooden shed on fire where the ATV was parked. The blaze quickly spread to his home, Fire Chief Jim Ellis said later in the day.
Student firefighter Dale Wonder, 19, who is in his second year as a live-in firefighter for Eddington Fire Department, heard the 11 a.m. fire alarm and was the first to reach the residence at 23 Demkow Lane, owned by Eric Ring.
He found the shed in flames and the nearby mobile home was on fire,
Ellis said. “He put water on the fire from the exterior” and was able to knock it down while other Eddington firefighters and some from Holden and Brewer arrived to help.
“It’s a success story for our live-in program,” the fire chief said.
Wonder, who is from Calais, is enrolled in the fire science program at Eastern Maine Community College and is scheduled to graduate in May.
The shed was a total loss, and siding on the home was melted, but no injuries were reported, Ellis said.
“The first 10 minutes [of a fire] dictate the next two hours,” Ellis said, adding all involved did an excellent job in saving the home.
“It’s livable.” (Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN)