June 24, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Lone Star Ticks | Foraging | Bangor Pride

Orrington man’s death possible OD

By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — Police said Tuesday they are investigating the death of a 29-year-old man and the apparent drug overdose of a woman that was reported Saturday morning.

“We are investigating an incident on State Street of a suspicious death from Halloween day,” said police Sgt. Paul Edwards. The case has been assigned to the Bangor Police Department’s criminal investigation division.

Someone from 113 State St. called for an ambulance Saturday morning, and the emergency responders called police at 9:08 a.m. after finding William “Kevin” Vaughn, of Orrington, dead of an apparent drug overdose, Edwards said.

“There was a female [who] was transported” at the time, Lt. Tim Reid, who leads the Police Department’s detective division, said Tuesday afternoon.

Police would not identify her, but said she is 42 and from Bangor. Reid declined to identify the type of drugs the two reportedly consumed.

“She has come around,” he said. “I don’t believe she is still in the hospital.”

Anytime drugs are involved in a death, “it’s a process and it’s lengthy,” Edwards said of the investigation.

Vaughn’s body was sent to the medical examiner’s office in Augusta, but how he died is still unknown, a representative from that office said Tuesday.

“It’s pending manner and pending cause,” she said.

The woman taken to the hospital also was given a toxicology test as part of the investigation, Edwards said.

“We’re awaiting toxicology reports, which literally may take weeks,” Reid said. “These cases take a while to sort through because of the nature of them.”

It’s still unknown whether anyone will be charged in Vaughn’s death.

Vaughn, who was living with his father, had gone to the State Street apartment with his girlfriend, his mother, Cindy Hartwell, said by phone from South Carolina on Tuesday.

“I don’t even know her name,” she said of his son’s girlfriend. Police told the family the girlfriend had overdosed and was in the hospital.

Reid said the investigation prevents him from releasing any additional information about possible relationships between Vaughn and the woman sent to the hospital.

Hartwell, who last spoke to her son in August, said he had struggled with drugs in the past but had been drug-free for three years.

“He talked to me about it then, and I was really proud of him,” she said. “That’s why this isn’t adding up.”

A younger son called Hartwell to inform her of Vaughn’s death.

“When I called [his father] the detective was there and I still don’t know anything,” Hartwell said.

A funeral for Vaughn is planned for noon Saturday, Nov. 7, at the Ellsworth VFW Hall, Post No. 109.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like