June 18, 2018
Mid-Maine Latest News | Poll Questions | Tiny House Surprise | Antiquing | Stephen King

Police retracing slaying victim’s final 24 hours

By Christopher Cousins, BDN Staff

ANSON, Maine — Detectives from the Maine State Police have classified the shooting death of a 60-year-old Anson man Saturday as a homicide, according to Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland.

Everett Cameron, 60, was found dead inside his pickup truck on a woods road near his Town Farm Road home. Cameron’s girlfriend found his body at about 4 p.m. inside his maroon-and-silver 1990 Chevrolet, which was parked 20 feet off the road in a location that McCausland described as “very close” or “adjacent” to the victim’s home.

There were no known witnesses to the shooting, prompting investigators to appeal to the public in search of anyone who saw Cameron in the final 24 hours of his life.

“We’d like to complete a timeline of everywhere he’d been and everyone he’d talked to,” said McCausland.

Cameron had been deer hunting Saturday morning before returning to his home in the early afternoon. Investigators are unsure what happened between then and when his body was found, other than Cameron changed out of his hunting clothes and drove his truck to the nearby location where he was shot. McCausland said Cameron was unarmed at the time of the shooting.

Asked how Cameron’s girlfriend found the truck, McCausland said it was likely that she saw it either from Town Farm Road or from Cameron’s home.

“It was obvious when she looked in the cab [of the truck] that he was dead,” said McCausland.

Detectives have interviewed family, friends and neighbors, but McCausland declined to discuss any leads detectives might be exploring. The Somerset County Sheriff’s Department and Maine Warden Service are assisting with the investigation.

Asked what prompted investigators to label this death a homicide and rule out a stray bullet or accidental shooting, McCausland declined to answer because doing so would require him to provide information that is important to the investigation.

“There is no indication this is a hunting death,” he said. “It’s a homicide.”

McCausland would not say how many times Cameron was shot or whether he was shot from inside or outside the truck.

Cameron’s truck was taken to the State Police Crime Laboratory in Augusta, where it is being examined. The state medical examiner’s office performed an autopsy Sunday, but was not releasing any details, according to a press release.

Searchers from the Maine Warden Service spent Saturday night, Sunday and Monday examining the woods near the site of the shooting. Town Farm Road is located just off Route 234 in Anson, a community of about 2,600 located west of Skowhegan in Somerset County.

Cameron’s death marks the 19th Maine homicide since the beginning of the calendar year. Anyone who has information about Cameron’s whereabouts on Saturday is asked to call Maine State Police at 1-800-452-4664.

On Oct. 8, Gary Watson, 63, of Madison, was shot while sitting in the driver’s seat in his pickup truck outside a Hell’s Angels motorcycle club on Route 23 in Canaan, less than 30 miles from the shooting of Everett Cameron. Watson is still recovering from his injuries, according to McCausland, and detectives have yet to make an arrest in that case. Asked whether there is any suspicion that the two shootings are related, McCausland said there is “no known connection.”

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like