Fire at Sullivan house contained to bedroom

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff
Posted Oct. 27, 2009, at 11:11 p.m.

SULLIVAN, Maine — An electrical malfunction was cited as the cause of a fire Tuesday night that damaged the back part of a single-story home.

The fire at 400 Bert Gray Road, which was reported about 7:30 p.m., began in a back bedroom, Sullivan Fire Chief Mike Hiser said. He said that quick response by about 20 firefighters from Sullivan, Sorrento and Hancock contained fire damage to the bedroom. An adjacent bedroom had only smoke and water damage, he said.

“It was a real good stop,” Hiser said. “The guys did really well tonight.”

Though the homeowners’ names were not immediately available Tuesday night, Hiser said that the house was occupied by a retired couple, who escaped safely. He also said that no firefighters were injured in connection with the fire.

Hiser said the house is insured.

http://bangordailynews.com/2009/10/27/news/bangor/fire-at-sullivan-house-contained-to-bedroom/ printed on July 25, 2014