WESTFIELD, Maine — A home on Shorey Road was heavily damaged Thursday afternoon after a fire ripped through the dwelling just before 1 p.m.
Stuart Craig, first lieutenant for the Mars Hill Fire Department, said Friday that the two-story dwelling was owned by Dana York.
“He was home when the fire broke out, and he made the call for assistance,” said Craig.
According to Craig, the home was in flames when firefighters arrived on the scene with thick smoke billowing out of the windows and doors of the home.
Craig said that he believed that York’s daughter had been staying at the residence with him at the time of the fire.
Firefighters worked for close to two hours to knock down the blaze.
“The structure is still standing, but it received serious smoke, fire and water damage, particularly in the downstairs,” he said.
Craig said he was not yet sure how the blaze sparked. He said the State Fire Marshal’s Office had been contacted, but he was not sure whether an investigator had yet been on the scene.
The home was not insured, according to Craig.
Seven firefighters from the Mars Hill Fire Department battled the fire, as did an equal number of firefighters from the Presque Isle Fire Department, which provided mutual aid.
Craig said that York cut his arm during the blaze and sought treatment at The Aroostook Medical Center in Presque Isle.
He has since been released.
No one else was injured.