Assault in dorm at UM probed

Posted Oct. 09, 2009, at 7:29 p.m.

ORONO, Maine — University of Maine public safety officers were searching Friday for a man accused of sexually assaulting a female student in her dorm earlier in the week.

“He’s aware we’re looking for him,” said university spokesman Joe Carr.

The woman made her report around 5:15 p.m. Wednesday.

“She reported a sexual offense that had occurred the day before — Tuesday,” Carr said.

The woman reported that she was attacked by someone she knew. Carr said he was unable to say what type of sexual offense was reported, how the two knew each other or whether the suspect was a UM student.

Police “have determined that there is no danger to anybody else in the community,” Carr said.

Tuesday marked the 25th anniversary of Take Back the Night, an event designed to give women who have been sexually assaulted an opportunity to speak out and share their stories, then march through campus as a symbolic way of taking back control of their streets and their lives.

The Orono gathering drew about 200 people to the lawn behind Fogler Library. Before the Survivor Speakout, representatives from campus and community organizations that provide assistance to those dealing with the aftermath of sexual violence spoke about their services.

BDN writer Jessica Bloch contributed to this report.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in State