June 22, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Woman charged after hit-and-run accident in Lincolnville

By Walter Griffin

LINCOLNVILLE, Maine — A local woman has been arrested on charges of leaving the scene of a hit-and-run accident that injured a teenage pedestrian Monday night.

Tiffeny L. Green, 35, of Martin Corner Road was arrested at the Waldo County Sheriff’s Department on Tuesday night. The department had seized her vehicle earlier that day.

Green was charged with leaving the scene of a personal-injury accident, failure to report an accident by the quickest means, driving to endanger and violation of conditions of release. She was taken next door to the jail after her arrest. Green appeared in 5th District Court on Wednesday and was released on $2,000 unsecured bail.

Waldo County Chief Deputy Robert Keating said Green admitted to Deputy James Greeley that she knew she struck something with her vehicle but thought it was a mailbox.

Andrew Widdecomb, 17, of Lincolnville was hit by Green’s vehicle as he walked along Heal Road with his girlfriend at 6:25 p.m. Monday. Widdecomb was taken by ambulance to Penobscot Bay Medical Center in Rockport where he was treated for cuts and abrasions and then released. His girlfriend was not injured.

In an affidavit filed with the case, Deputy Greeley said Green’s son was with his mother at the time of the incident and that she “started freaking out” and told him they had hit a mailbox. Greeley said Green told him that “if I had any idea it was a kid I would have taken him to the hospital myself.”

A passenger-side mirror broke away from Green’s vehicle when it struck Widdecomb.

Green’s vehicle was seized and impounded Tuesday afternoon on Martin Corner Road after a relative of the victim advised the department of its location.

When detectives taped together the fragments of the mirror found at the crime scene and compared them to Green’s vehicle, “they were a perfect match to what was missing from that car,” Keating said Wednesday.

At the time of the hit-and-run incident Green was free on $100 bail for making a false public report to the Belfast Police Department in June. According to an affidavit filed in that case, Green told city detective Michael McFadden that she had been raped by a male friend.

However, McFadden learned during his subsequent investigation that Green and the man had a consensual sexual relationship and that she made the accusation of rape in order to pressure the man into paying her $700 she claimed he owed her. A family member interviewed during the course of that investigation told McFadden that Green often consumed alcohol and pills to the point that her driving was impaired and caused her to strike objects on the side of the road on more than one occasion.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like