June 21, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Family Separations | Boston TV | LePage Troops

Greenbush bank robber gets 3½ years

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A Greenbush man was sentenced Monday in Penobscot County Superior Court to eight years in prison with all but 3½ years suspended after pleading guilty to robbing two banks within two weeks earlier this year and having about 15 pounds of marijuana mailed to himself from Texas.

Troy M. Gay, 21, was charged with robbing Bangor Savings Bank in Howland on April 27 and the Bank of America branch on Union Street in Bangor on May 7. He also was charged with attempted unlawful trafficking in scheduled drugs for having two packages of marijuana mailed to addresses in Greenbush and Old Town.

Superior Court Justice John Nivison also sentenced Gay to two years of probation after he completes his prison term. In addition, the judge ordered Gay to pay $4,000 in restitution to the two banks and a mandatory $400 fine on the drug conviction.

Gay told the judge that his addiction to opiates led to his criminal behavior.

“I’m truly sorry,” Gay told Nivison. “I made some poor choices. I want to get my life back on track.”

The judge said the recommended sentence was appropriate given the fact that Gay had a minor criminal record.

Gay faced up to 10 years in prison and fines of up to $20,000 on each of the Class B robbery charges. He did not use a weapon. If he had, he would have faced up to 30 years in prison and a fine of up to $50,000.

He faced up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000 on the drug charge.

In a plea agreement, Michael Roberts, deputy district attorney for Penobscot County, and defense attorney David Bate of Bangor recommended the sentence Gay received.

Gay used similar methods in both robberies, according to court documents. By pleading guilty, he admitted that he entered both banks shortly after 9 a.m. when they opened for business. Witnesses around the banks observed him the day before each robbery, Roberts told the judge.

In January, Gay arranged to have the packages of marijuana mailed to him. They were intercepted by postal inspectors in New Hampshire and never delivered. As of Monday, he had not been charged in federal court for sending drugs through the mail, according to information on the U.S. District Court’s electronic case filing system.

Gay has been held at the Penobscot County jail unable to make bail since his arrest the day of the second bank robbery. Bail was set at $20,000 cash or $100,000 surety.

The time he has been in jail will be credited toward his sentence.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like