BREWER, Maine — In order to include an antique car show, with Boy Scout Troop 15 as host, the eighth annual Brewer Days — a hometown celebration — was extended by a day to Sunday.
This year’s event has something for everyone — a yard sale sponsored by the Brewer Historical Society, a “Guitar Hero” challenge for those who like video games, sporting events, and many children’s games and activities.
All of the Brewer Days events are scheduled for Brewer Auditorium, its parking lot and Doyle Field next door.
Saturday’s events begin with Brewer Kiwanis Club members serving pancakes starting at 7 a.m., the farmers market opening at 8 a.m. and the yard sale kicking off at 9 a.m.
Most of Saturday’s events are geared to children — the money grab, children’s carnival, water slide and cookie stacking contest — but there also are events that should appeal to teens, adults and families, said Ken Hanscom, Brewer Parks and Recreation director.
Brewer Youth Soccer League, kindergarten through grade eight, will hold games throughout the day at Doyle Field and Maple Street field and the Brewer High School Witches girls soccer team as they take on Waterville at 4 p.m.
There will be live country and light rock music, as well as Brewer Hometown Band performances and free public skating at the Penobscot Ice Arena. Local cooks can enter the annual cook-off contest, which this year features the best pumpkin dessert or homemade pickles.
On Sunday, the second annual Brewer Days Car Show will be held 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at the Brewer Auditorium. There is a $5 registration fee per vehicle and check-in time starts at 9 a.m. and ends at 11 a.m. Awards for the 14 classes include trucks and motorcycles and a People’s Choice Award.
The schedule of activities is:
Saturday, Sept. 12
• 7-9 a.m., Brewer Kiwanis pancake breakfast, auditorium. $4, $2 children.
• 8 a.m.-1 p.m., Brewer Farmer’s Market, auditorium parking lot.
• 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Brewer Youth Soccer League, kindergarten through grade eight, Doyle and Maple fields.
• 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Brewer Historical Society yard sale, auditorium parking lot.
• 10 a.m.-2 p.m., children’s carnival and activities, face painting, inflatable slide, dunk tank, children’s games, “Guitar Hero” challenge, auditorium parking lot.
• 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Brewer Police and Fire department displays and demonstrations, auditorium parking lot.
• 10-10:45 a.m., Brewer Hometown Band, parking lot stage.
• 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., pony rides for children, auditorium complex, $2.
• 11 a.m., Cook-off entry deadline, auditorium. Pumpkin dessert and homemade pickles categories.
• 11 a.m.-12:15 p.m., rodeo, country rock band, parking lot stage.
• 12:30 p.m., Cook-off results announced, auditorium.
• 12:30-1:15 p.m., children’s money grab, auditorium stage.
• 1:15-2:30 p.m., JD Bros., acoustic light rock music, parking lot stage.
• 1:30 p.m., children’s cookie stacking contest for ages 5 through 10, auditorium.
• 2:30-3:30 p.m., giant water slide with Brewer Fire Department, Doyle Field.
• 4-6 p.m., free public skating, Penobscot Ice Arena, Acme Road.
• 4 p.m., Brewer High School girls soccer game, Brewer versus Waterville, Doyle Field.
Sunday, Sept. 13
• 9 a.m.-3 p.m., second annual Brewer Days Car Show, auditorium parking lot. Music, food, prizes and children’s games.