March 22, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Maine chefs | Paul LePage | Nor'easter

Bangor arsonist violates probation

By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — One of two men convicted of arson for the April 4, 2000, fire that destroyed the Extra Touch lingerie shop downtown was arrested on Tuesday for violating his probation.

Harold Hawkes, 28, of Bangor was sentenced in February 2001 to 17 years in prison with all but five years suspended and six years of probation for his part in the crime.

A Bangor police officer was conducting property checks on Tuesday and discovered Hawkes out at 12:15 a.m., a violation of his probation.

“He was out beyond his curfew, which is set by his probation officer,” Sgt. Brad Johnston said on Tuesday.

“His probation locks him in his house at 20-hundred hours — at 8 p.m.,” Sgt. Bob Bishop said on Wednesday. “He cannot be out after 8 p.m.”

Hawkes, who will be on probation until 2013, was arrested for the probation violation on Tuesday and taken to Penobscot County Jail, where he remained Wednesdayevening, a jail official said.

Hawkes and Scott Gagnon, aged 18 and 19 at the time, were convicted of arson in 2001 for causing the fire that destroyed the Extra Touch, which once was located in the bottom floor of 29 State St., a six-story building on the corner of State and Exchange streets.

Hawkes and Gagnon were drunk and wandering around downtown Bangor in the early morning hours of April 4, 2000, when they first tossed a pipe and then a Molotov cocktail through the plate glass windows at the apparel store, causing the blaze.

Upper floors in the building were heavily damaged, and all told the fire caused about $790,000 in damages, according to reports. The lingerie shop never reopened.

The shop owner told investigators that she had had a confrontation with Hawkes a week or two before the fire about her suspicions that he and his friends were shoplifting from her store.

Gagnon was sentenced to 17 years in prison with all but six years suspended. He also was given six years of probation. Both Gagnon and Hawkes were ordered to pay $800,000 in restitution.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like