CARIBOU, Maine — A hearing that had been scheduled for this month to determine whether a Limestone teenager will be tried as a juvenile or an adult in connection with the April death of his 3-month-old daughter has been postponed.
The bind-over hearing, rescheduled from Aug. 27, now could take place in the fall.
Nicklas Jones, 17, pleaded not guilty to a charge of manslaughter in May in Caribou District Court.
Jones is charged in the death of 3-month-old Joselyn Jones, who died April 27 at Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor from injuries she reportedly suffered four days earlier. Maine State Police investigators said the baby died from blunt force trauma to the head.
Police allege that her father threw the baby into her crib to stop her from crying.
Jones was arrested on May 1 and is being held at Mountain View Correctional Facility in Charleston.
When Nicklas Jones made his initial appearance in court, Assistant Attorney General Andrew Benson said the state filed a motion seeking a forensic diagnostic evaluation and requested a bind-over hearing to determine whether the 17-year-old would be tried as a juvenile or an adult.
Benson said Monday that the evaluation was not received by all parties involved in the case in time for the hearing, which led to the matter being continued until a later date.
According to Benson, the state is pushing for Jones to be tried as an adult both because he is “chronologically almost an adult” and because he said there are inadequate options in the juvenile system to treat Jones.
The assistant attorney general said a status conference on the case will be held on Oct. 2 and he hopes the bind-over hearing will be held later in the month.
Jones’ attorney, Anthony Trask of Presque Isle, could not be reached for comment Monday.