May 22, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Marijuana Ties | Mary Mayhew | Car Theft

Bangor man charged with meal theft twice in same day

By Jeff Tuttle, BDN Staff

A transient from Bangor was arrested Tuesday afternoon by an Old Town police officer after an alleged “dine and dash” incident at an Old Town pizzeria.

Less than 12 hours later, after he was released on bail, Elias Elias, 58, was summoned by a Bangor police officer for the same crime, namely eating a meal at a restaurant and skipping out without paying the tab.

The first incident occurred around lunchtime, when Elias reportedly had lunch at Johnny’s Pizza in Old Town and left without paying for his meal, Old Town police Sgt. Travis Roy said. He said Officer Lee Miller arrested Elias and charged him with felony theft and took him to Penobscot County Jail in Bangor. He was released on bail shortly thereafter.

At about 11 p.m. that night, Elias was summoned for theft by Bangor police Officer Rob Angelo after he ordered a meal at a downtown eatery and left without paying, Bangor police Sgt. James Hodges said in a news release.

“From the description given, Officer Angelo suspected Mr. Elias has a history of similar activities,” Hodges said. (Dawn Gagnon, BDN)


A Dixmont woman was arrested and charged with drunk driving and failure to stop for a police officer after leading police on a high-speed chase through Bangor early Wednesday morning.

Molly Ferguson, 19, was arrested about 2:30 a.m. by Bangor police Officer Kevin Haefele at the intersection of Center and Cumberland streets. Haefele had been notified by fellow Bangor police Officer Russ Twaddell to be on the lookout for the car she was driving.

Twaddell was on Dutton Street when he saw the car approach him at a high rate of speed, turn around abruptly and take off, according to Bangor police Sgt. James Hodges. Hodges said Twaddell had approached the car and ordered the driver to stop, but the car drove away onto Main Street, passing through a red light in the process.

Haefele spotted Ferguson’s car on Main Street and eventually stopped it, Hodges said, adding that the car traveled at speeds as high as 75 mph through downtown Bangor before coming to a stop. (Dawn Gagnon, BDN)


A Hampden man was arrested Wednesday at the Bangor State Fair after failing to leave after he was asked to do so by a Bangor police officer.

Ross Merrill, 18, was acting disorderly when he was issued a written criminal trespass warning by Bangor police Officer Doug Smith and escorted off the premises, Sgt. James Hodges said Thursday.

Despite the warning, Merrill returned to the fairground. This time, however, he was arrested by Bangor police Sgt. Ed Potter and taken to Penobscot County Jail. (Dawn Gagnon, BDN)

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like