June 20, 2018
News Latest News | Poll Questions | Immigration | Lumber Market | RCV Ballots

Milo man released after standoff

By Nick Sambides Jr., BDN Staff

MILO, Maine — Town Manager John Gahagan has seen David Krueger endure excruciating circumstances — a motorcycle accident several years ago that left him a paraplegic — but said that Krueger always seemed to rise above his misfortune.

“I can remember how devastating that was for him and his girlfriend,” Gahagan said, “but he was always very positive and was clearly making the best of a horrible circumstance.”

That’s why Gahagan was mystified that Krueger, who uses a wheelchair, allegedly held police at bay in a nearly nine-hour standoff in which police said he barricaded himself with several weapons and randomly fired four or five shots. Police said he did not fire at any officers.

Krueger, 37, of 23 Riverside St. was charged Tuesday with terrorizing, possession of a firearm by a felon and creating a police standoff. He was taken to the Piscataquis County Jail in Dover-Foxcroft and later released on $450 cash bail.

Police described Krueger as intoxicated, but no blood-alcohol test results were available Tuesday. Gahagan speculated that intoxication, plus its interaction with prescribed medicines, might have led to the standoff.

The incident began at Krueger’s home at about 12:30 a.m. Tuesday when a friend of Krueger’s telephoned police and said she believed Krueger had fired at least one shot and was despondent, Officer David Henderson said.

Milo police maintained a perimeter guard and evacuated several houses starting at about 1 a.m. as state police arrived and assembled. A state police tactical team negotiator talked Krueger into surrendering shortly before 9 a.m., Henderson said. The Piscataquis County Sheriff’s Department assisted with security.

A .40-caliber Sig Sauer handgun, a .357-caliber revolver, an AR-15 semiautomatic rifle, associated ammunition and at least two pellet rifles were seized from the house after Krueger surrendered, police said.

Henderson said he didn’t know what crimes Krueger had been charged with previously. Krueger was apparently in the house by himself the entire time, Henderson said.

The 1½ -story home appeared neat and well-maintained, with a “for sale” sign on the front lawn. Henderson said he did not know what Krueger did for a living or whether he was out of work on disability.

Krueger apparently led an active life despite using a wheelchair. Workers at the local Shell station recalled working on his car, which had special handgrips that helped him control its speed, and said he was very friendly. Restaurant workers said he was an occasional customer.

Krueger is due in court on Aug. 24.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like