TOWNSHIP 6 RANGE 9, Maine — A 15-year-old Massachusetts girl had to be rescued while hiking the Appalachian Trail near Gulf Hagas on Monday after suffering a severe allergic reaction to a bee sting.
After she was carried and walked out of the woods by state game wardens and emergency rescuers from the Brownville and Milo fire departments, the girl — whose name was withheld because of her age — was taken to a waiting ambulance for a ride to Mayo Regional Hospital in Dover-Foxcroft, Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife spokeswoman Deborah Turcotte said Monday night.
No additional information about her medical condition was available Monday night, Turcotte said.
According to Turcotte, the girl was hiking with a group of about a dozen friends when she was stung by at least one bee sometime between 10 and 11 a.m. while traveling from Gulf Hagas Trail to the Appalachian Trail. She immediately broke into hives, began fading in and out of consciousness and was unable to walk.
The part of the Appalachian Trail she was on when she was rescued can be reached from a parking lot near Katahdin Iron Works. Turcotte said the girl was about three miles in when the bee stung her. That trail crosses the Pleasant River and connects to the Gulf Hagas Rim Trail.
The girl was given Benadryl, then an injection of epinephrine and then more Benadryl by her hiking companions but failed to fully recover, Turcotte said.
Two of the people she was hiking with hiked 3 miles back to the parking lot where the group had left their vehicles to get help, Turcotte said.
There, they encountered one of the Appalachian Trail Club volunteer “ridge runners” who assist hikers and caught a ride to an area where they could get cell phone service and call for help.
When game wardens were called about 2 p.m., Milo and Brownville fire department rescuers already were en route, she said. It took more than three hours to get the girl to the ambulance, Turcotte said.
After reaching the girl and placing her on a stretcher, rescuers hiked most of the way back to the parking lot. As rescuers were carrying the girl out of the wilderness a hailstorm struck, drenching everyone, Turcotte said.
But by the time the group reached the Pleasant River, the sun was shining, Turcotte said. She said that for the girl’s own safety, she needed to be walked with the help of rescuers through knee-deep water to get to the parking lot.
Warden Mike Morrison, who along with Warden Eric Dauphinee and Warden Sgt. Bill Chandler took part in the rescue, said that the hail was about half the size of golf balls, she said.