April 21, 2018
Piscataquis Latest News | Poll Questions | Kenduskeag Canoe Race | Barbara Bush Funeral | Bangor Savings Bank

Guilford man’s death remains unexplained

By Dan MacLeod, Special to the BDN

DEXTER, Maine — Lorraine Sherwood doesn’t know what happened to her son.

The mother of Timothy Sherwood, the 23-year-old Guilford man who was found dead in a Dexter stream Monday evening, said her son was walking from Guilford to visit his aunt in Dexter.

“He was, I guess, walking from Guilford to his aunt Maggie’s house, and he never made it,” said Lorraine Sherwood of Hartford on Wednesday.

Police still know little about the circumstances of Sherwood’s death. He was found dead in Main Stream along Route 23 by three children around 7 p.m. Monday.

Dexter police responded to the 911 call from the father of one of the boys. Officer Gary Morin alerted Maine State Police because it was not clear whether foul play was involved, police said Tuesday. No fishing equipment or boat were found near the body.

“There’s nothing new on this case,” Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety, said Wednesday.

“The main information we are seeking is going to be coming from the medical examiner’s office,” he said.

An autopsy was performed Tuesday. The cause of death is not expected to be known for up to six months.

Dexter police said Wednesday afternoon that the letters “LH” were tattooed on Sherwood’s left hand.

“I’m not sure if that meant ‘left hand’ or what,” said Dexter Police Chief Jim Emerson.

Speaking quietly over the phone, with her sister Maggie helping her to recall the specifics of her son’s life, Lorraine Sherwood said her son loved to fish.

“He has a special place in the family’s heart,” she said.

“He was a nice young boy, liked going fishing with his cousins,” she added.

She said his best friend was Elisha Chadwick, his cousin.

“They went out partying and had fun together and went to beaches,” said Sherwood.

Chadwick was unavailable for comment Wednesday afternoon.

Timothy Sherwood attended Nokomis Regional High School where he was in the Junior ROTC program, his mother said.

After graduation in 2004, he was a mechanic in Job Corps in Maine and Vermont. He was unemployed at the time of his death, Sherwood said.

The last time Lorraine Sherwood saw her son was on July 8, when she gave him a ride to Cambridge, where his father, Timothy Bailey, lives.

Asked if there was anything she wanted people to know about her son, she said, “just that I love him.”

David Sesona of Waterville, a friend of Sherwood’s since high school, said in a telephone interview Wednesday evening that he and Sherwood worked together at a temporary employment agency in Bangor and participated in Job Corps in Vermont.

“For the years I’ve known him he’s never been in trouble,” he said.

He said that when he talked with Sherwood last fall, Sherwood “said he was working full-time.”

“He seemed happy,” Sesona said.

On Wednesday, services for Timothy Sherwood were being planned by the family.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like