UM goalie has charge dismissed

Posted June 29, 2009, at 3:46 p.m.
Last modified Jan. 30, 2011, at 11:37 a.m.

BANGOR, Maine — A domestic assault charge against a University of Maine hockey player has been dropped.

The misdemeanor charge against goalie David Wilson, 24, of Orono was dismissed last week, Penobscot County District Attorney R. Christopher Almy said Monday.

The charge was dismissed Thursday due to insufficient evidence, Almy said.

Wilson was charged in connection with an April 2 incident involving a 21-year-old female at the Bear Brew Pub in downtown Orono. The goalie was arrested a short time after it was reported to Orono Police. Wilson was taken to the Penobscot County Jail and released the same day after paying a $40 bail fee, according to court documents.

The hockey player had pleaded not guilty to the charge last month in 3rd District Court in Bangor.

Wilson’s attorney, Gary Prolman of Portland, last month predicted the charges would be dropped.

“These allegations are completely false,” he told the Bangor Daily News on May 28. “This is a case of a jealous girlfriend trying to get back at my client for leaving her.”

The attorney said last month that District Court Judge Jessie Gunther’s denial of the alleged victim’s request for a protection from abuse order made it clear that Wilson had been falsely accused.

Gunther’s decision helped the district attorney’s office evaluate the case, Almy said Monday.

Wilson was suspended from the team pending the outcome of the legal case and internal review by university officials.

Maine athletic director Blake James and head coach Tim Whitehead said they will address the situation and expect Wilson to return to the team.

James intends to meet with Whitehead and Wilson individually but said, “I assume he will be reinstated to the team.

“This is very positive news for David,” said James. “David and I will discuss the situation to get a get a better understanding of all the facts surrounding the case as it played out. We’ll talk about what happened in the courts, what we learned from the situation and how best to move forward.”

James, who said Wilson had expressed remorse about the negative light the incident had shed on the team and the university, stated at the outset that they intended to wait until the case was played out in the court system before making a decision on his status.

“There are a number of different areas of jurisdiction: team rules, student-athlete code of conduct, the university code of conduct and the legal system,” said James, noting that each has its own regulations.

Whitehead said he and James would decide if Wilson will be suspended for any games at the outset of next season.

“He hasn’t been in any significant trouble throughout his college career. It will be great to have him back on the team,” Whitehead said. “I’m happy for him and his family that these charges were dropped and he has had the opportunity to clear his name publicly. Now he can move forward and focus again on his academics and his hockey.”

Wilson, who will be a senior this fall, is from Caledon East, Ontario. He backed up goalie Ben Bishop in his first two seasons but earned more playing time in the second half of last season after freshman Scott Darling slumped.

Wilson finished with a 3-8-1 record, a 2.82 goals-against average and a .901 save percentage. A groin pull ended his season prematurely.

bdnsports@bangordailynews.net

SEE COMMENTS →

View stories by school

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Sports