The former pastor of St. Mary Catholic Church in Bangor will serve as the administrator of a coastal cluster that includes the oldest, continuous parish north of Baltimore, Md., beginning July 1.
Bangor native the Rev. Frank J. Murray will serve as the administrator of All Saints Parish that includes churches in Brunswick, Bath, Boothbay, Richmond and Newcastle, the Roman Catholic Diocese of Portland has announced.
St. Patrick Catholic Church in Newcastle was established in 1798. Its first church building was completed in 1808, and one of its bells was cast by Paul Revere shortly before his death in November 1818.
A modern $2 million church was completed in 2004. The original building continues to be used as a chapel. St. Patrick also has one of the few permanent outdoor worship sites in the state.
Murray now is the pastor of Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish, Auburn, and Blessed Teresa of Calcutta Parish, Mechanic Falls, Oxford and Norway. He was reassigned in 2003 to the Auburn churches after serving for nine years as the pastor of St. Mary’s.
The Rev. Frederick Morse and the Rev. Normand Carpentier have been named to the pastoral team to be led by Murray. Morse serves as chaplain at Maine Medical Center and parochial vicar of St. Christopher Catholic Church, Peaks Island. Carpentier has been assigned to parishes in northern Cumberland, Oxford and Franklin counties.
The changes in the coastal parish were prompted by the departure of the Marist priests, who served St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Brunswick, and the retirement of the Rev. Richard Rice and Stephen Concannon on July 1.
Other assignments announced by the diocese include:
• Rev. Alfred Irving has been named priest-chaplain at Maine Medical Center in Portland and parochial vicar of Cluster 21, which includes the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception and churches in Portland, Peaks Island and Long Island. He is the administrator of Our Lady Queen of Peace in Boothbay and St. Patrick’s in Newcastle.
• Rev. Richard McLaughlin has been appointed pastor of Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish in Auburn and Blessed Teresa of Calcutta Parish in Norway. He is serving as vicar for priests and director of the Department of Ministerial Services. Earlier this year he was given a temporary assignment as parochial vicar of St. Joseph Parish, Ellsworth, and Stella Maris Parish, Bucksport. He left St. John Catholic Church in Bangor on July 1, 2008.
• Rev. Bruce Siket has been assigned to serve as parochial vicar at Stella Maris Parish, Bucksport, and St. Joseph Parish, Ellsworth, with primary residence in Bucksport. Stella Maris includes the churches of St. Vincent de Paul, Bucksport; Our Lady of Holy Hope, Castine; and St. Mary Star of the Sea, Stonington. He has been serving as parochial vicar of Corpus Christi in Waterville and Christ the King in Skowhegan.
• Rev. Jean-Paul Labrie will be the new pastor of the Parish of the Precious Blood that includes Holy Rosary in Caribou, St. Denis in Fort Fairfield and St. Louis in Limestone, St. Mary in Presque Isle, Sacred Heart in North Caribou, St. Joseph in Mars Hill, St. Mark in Ashland and St. Theresa in Stockholm. The Revs. Raymond Morency and Aaron Damboise, the parochial vicars who have been serving these churches, will remain in that capacity.
• Rev. Timothy Nadeau has been assigned to be the administrator of newly named St. Paul the Apostle Parish in Bangor. That parish will include the churches of St. John and St. Mary in Bangor, St. Matthew, in Hampden, St. Joseph and St. Teresa in Brewer, and St. Gabriel in Winterport. The Rev. Kent Ouellette and the Rev. Seamus Griesbach, who have been serving as parochial vicars for those parishes, will remain in that capacity.
• The Rev. Alfred Jacques has been named sacramental minister for Holy Savior Parish, which includes churches in Rumford, Mexico, Dixfield, Bethel and Roxbury Pond. The retired priest succeeds the Rev. Angelo Levasseur, who died last month after a brief illness.
• Newly ordained Rev. Paul Murray has been assigned to Corpus Christi Parish in Waterville and Christ the King Parish in Skowhegan.