LINCOLN — Several streets will be closed for Homecoming, or the Riverdrivers Festival, on July 16-19, and several events within the townwide celebration were approved by unanimous votes by the Town Council on Monday. They include:
ä The Friends of the Library holding a book sale on the library lawn. The council approved closing the library on July 18 for that purpose.
The library also will be closed for as many as four hours on an as-yet undetermined date so that library workers can install new computer software.
• A yard sale at the Ballard Hill Community Center. The town sells old computers, file cabinets and other broken or no longer used equipment before disposing of it at the town transfer station.
• Veterans Square will be closed for the homecoming parade to accommodate vendors.
• Libby Street will be closed to traffic for the parade’s assembly.
• Main Street and West Broadway will be closed for the parade on Saturday. Traffic will be routed down Fleming Street and Enfield Road. Lake Street also will be closed as will, for the first time, Lincoln Street.
Meanwhile, the Homecoming Committee has been busy drumming up support within the Lincoln Lakes region for the event, which is among the town’s largest and will run at locations around town. Its efforts include:
• Sending more than 100 letters to area businesses asking for donations and supplement advertising. The deadline for advertising is June 18. Anyone with questions is asked to call 794-6548. All businesses that make donations will be listed on the town Web site, lincolnmaine.org.
• Setting the theme for the homecoming, which is “Comedy Sitcoms of TV.”
• Beginning to post fliers around town advertising the third annual Homecoming Golf Open, which is set for July 12 at JATO Highlands Golf Course of Lincoln.
• Launching parade and vendor registrations for the event. Registration forms can be downloaded from the town Web site. The draft Homecoming Schedule of Events is completed and posted on the town Web site.
Homecoming Committee meetings are set for 5:30 p.m. June 15, June 29, July 6 and July 13 at the Recreation Department office at the town office. Anyone interested in joining the committee or otherwise volunteering is asked to call 794-6548.