May 28, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | George HW Bush | Memorial Day | Long Creek

Suspect in Bradford standoff remains in jail

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — The 57-year-old Bradford man who held police at bay for seven hours last week and threatened to blow up or burn down his Main Road home remained in Penobscot County Jail on Monday after appearing before a Superior Court judge.

Justice Michaela Murphy set bail for Clarence Leo Rairdon Jr. at $10,000 cash or $75,000 surety.

Rairdon is charged with terrorizing, a Class C felony crime punishable by up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000.

He did not enter a plea Monday, and his arraignment has not been set.

Dressed in bright orange jail clothes, Rairdon appeared confused Monday during his brief court appearance. He told the judge that he did not understand what was happening and had not spoken with an attorney.

Court personnel gave Rairdon the paperwork to apply for a court-appointed attorney. Murphy told him that once he had spoken with an attorney, she would consider a motion to reduce his bail.

He was arrested about 6:30 p.m. Thursday after Maine State Police fired tear gas into the home and Rairdon surrendered. The incident leading to his arrest, according to police, began about 11:30 a.m. Thursday when Rairdon allegedly got drunk, threatened his ex-girlfriend with an ax and then barricaded himself in his home, triggering the standoff with police.

While investigators were interviewing the victim, who was living with Rairdon in his mobile home, Rairdon called her cell phone and told her “things were going to blow,” state police Sgt. Sean Hashey said from the scene Thursday.

The ax was recovered, but no other weapons or explosive devices were found in the home, Hashey said after Rairdon’s arrest.

Rairdon could face additional charges, according to the Penobscot County District Attorney’s Office. The case most likely will be presented to the grand jury later this month.

Greg Campbell, assistant district attorney for Penobscot County, recommended the bail set by the judge. He told Murphy that Rairdon was sentenced in 1996 in Aroostook County to 2½ years in prison with all but 25 days suspended and four year of probation for a standoff with police the previous year.

Rairdon violated his probation three times between 1997 and 1998, according to Campbell. He was sentenced to 18 months in prison for the third violation. Rairdon also violated his bail while the Aroostook County case was pending, the prosecutor said.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like