LINCOLN, Maine — The Parks and Recreation Department kicks off its 15-part summer concert series when Mark “Guitar” Miller brings his legendary country blues, folk and rock and roll to the Lee A. Rush Gazebo at 6 p.m. today.
The series, which typically attracts about 40 people for each performance, is a way for residents to enjoy good music, the gazebo and the marvelous view of Mattanawcook Lake that the gazebo area provides, said Shelly Crosby, the town’s events coordinator.
The series costs the town less than $1,000, said Crosby, who has been working since March to line up the list of series performers. Except Independence Day, it runs Fridays, until Sept. 4, at the gazebo, which is at West Broadway and Main Street, or at The Waterfront, a downtown conference center, on rainouts.
“It’s pretty much folks [musicians] calling and saying that they are available, and then I work them into the schedule,” Crosby said Thursday. “The acts that perform are for the most part free acts, so it is really about their generosity to the community. Each band will bring their own following.”
The schedule continues with:
• 39 D Nickel, a mix of country, old time rock ’n’ roll and gospel, on June 5, 6:30 p.m.
• Heirs to the King, a mix of country and gospel, June 12, 6:30 p.m.
• Nubbs Worster, Josh Rankin & Friends, country rock, acoustic guitar and bass, on June 19, 6 p.m.
• Danny and Mary Twist & Friends, a country music jam, on June 26, 6 p.m.
• Heirs to the King, July 10, 6 p.m.
• The Tony Boffa Band, July 17, 7 p.m.
• Nubbs Worster, Josh Rankin & Friends, July 24, 6 p.m.
• Lincoln Christian Fellowship, contemporary worship music, July 31, 6 p.m.
• 39 D Nickel, Aug. 7, 6:30 p.m.
• Nadia Brown and Tony Cruella, country, old-time favorites and gospel, Aug. 14, 6 p.m.
• Danny and Mary Twist & Friends, Aug. 21, 6 p.m.
• Robert’s Rock, blues and rock, Aug. 28, 7 p.m.
• 39 D Nickel, Sept. 4, 6 p.m.
Parking is available in the parking lot next to CWA Real Estate and at Veteran’s Square. Residents are encouraged to bring their own chairs. Weather and band availability can change the schedule. For further information, call 794-6548.