April 23, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Waffle House Hero | Royal Baby | Stoned Pets

Man in standoff fails to make $10,000 bail

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — The 57-year-old Bradford man who held police at bay for seven hours at his Main Road home Thursday — after threatening to blow up or burn down his Main Road home — remained behind bars late Friday unable to make bail set at $10,000 cash.

Clarence Leo Rairdon Jr. is being held at Penobscot County Jail on a felony terrorizing charge, a Class C felony crime punishable by up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000, a jail official said.

Before Rairdon was taken to jail after his arrest on Thursday, he complained of chest pains and was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center to be evaluated where he was kept under guard, state police spokesman Stephen McCausland said Friday.

McCausland said other charges might be filed later in addition to the felony terrorizing charge.

He added that if Rairdon does not make bail over the weekend, he would make an initial appearance in Penobscot County Superior Court early next week, likely on Monday or Tuesday.

According to state police, the incident leading to Rairdon’s arrest began about 11:30 a.m. Thursday when Rairdon reportedly got drunk, threatened his ex-girlfriend with an ax and then barricaded himself in his home, triggering the seven-hour standoff with police.

While police were interviewing the victim, who was living with Rairdon in his mobile home, Rairdon called her cell phone and told her “things were going to blow,” state police Sgt. Sean Hashey said from the scene.

The episode ended shortly after 6:30 p.m. after police fired tear gas into the home and Rairdon surrendered.

Because Rairdon’s criminal history includes an armed standoff with state police in 1995 in Houlton, state police took no chances Thursday and called out reinforcements including their tactical team and their remote-controlled robot. Personnel from the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Department and State Fire Marshal’s Office also were called to the scene.

In addition, the town fire department blocked a nearby road and police notified the elementary school.

The ax was recovered, but no other weapons or explosive devices were found in the home, Hashey said after the arrest.

BDN writers Nok-Noi Ricker and Judy Harrison contributed to this report.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like